Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Love this time of year...

We've had a pretty good couple of weeks!  My kids have been busy with school activities and homework...............
                                           

Sometimes requiring help from Dad.......
Derek has been doing an awesome job of ironing his own shirts....
Debbie and I were busy with peaches.......She helps with all the prep work of peeling and taking out the seeds.  I canned peaches, peach preserves, peach butter, and also put some in the freezer.  Of course I kept a few out for a great peach crisp!





Also this week......Blaize and Lyndie had a blast swinging .......




With the weather being so nice outside, I took my grand kids on a nice walk!  It really touched my heart when they held on to each others hands without being asked to!


They were pretty amazed by the apple trees....

During our walk, we stopped for water and M&M's.  We waited til we got back home to eat and they were so happy when they were having their snack!

They are adorable!  

Tortilla soup was one of the new recipes that I made this week! 
It was really good!  
Here's the recipe I used.

First, I used a 2 chicken breasts that I cut in half longways to make 4 thin breasts.
Then, I made a rub out of 
1 t. of cumin
2 t. of chili powder
1 t. garlic powder
and 1 t. of salt.

I put the rub on the chicken and then grilled the breasts.  Do not over cook!  You don't want the chicken to be dry.  When they were done, I diced them and set them a side.  
In your soup pot add a half a stick of butter and a few drizzles of olive oil and saute'
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 red bell pepper
1 green pepper
and a sprinkle of chili powder.
When they start to get soft, add 
2 cans of Rotel
1 can of tomato paste
8 c. of chicken broth
2 c. of hot water
2 cans of rinsed black beans
1 can of white beans
1 can of corn
add the chicken in and simmer til everything is hot.  If you want to thicken the soup a little, you can mix a little corn meal with hot water and pour in the soup mixture.
I topped it with corn chips, sour cream, and green onions.
This soup was kinda a light soup with all the veggies and grilled chicken....it was very good served with green chili and cheddar corn bread!
Enjoy!

No comments: