Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Canning and More

Canning time again .........


For several years I have enjoyed canning, making pickles, salsa, and canned tomatoes. Last year I decided to take a break from it and I never even had a garden.....boy I'll tell you what....I REALLY missed those fresh tomatoes, the beautiful beets right when you take them out of the canner. I missed the strong scent of dill pickles and vinegar and the vibrant green color of the fresh dill pickles right after they have been processed. During the winter when I made my soups and stews I wish I had those fresh tomatoes to add for a down home fresh flavor!! And for the times when I didn't feel good...my comfort food of macaroni and fresh canned tomatoes! So this year i made sure that we had at least a small garden and with the help of John, the kids and Debbie...the garden is a success! I am venturing out this year and maybe canning a few new things. I tried pickles banana peppers and they turned out great! I'm also going to do another kind of salsa, and maybe spaghetti sauce.

Beautfiul pickled beets...

Mom is slicing onions for freezer pickles....

Sheri is slicing cucumbers


This year I got a new recipe for pickles...it's called freezer pickles and they are delish! Freezer pickles are extremely easy to make and there is no canning involved.....you really should try them!
FREEZER PICKLES



8 CUPS CUCUMBERS
2 LARGE ONIONS (WHITE OR YELLOW)
2 CUPS SUGAR
1 CUP VINEGAR
1 TEAS. CELERY SEED
1 TEAS. SALT



SLICE YOUR CUCUMBERS AND ONIONS AND PLACE IN A LARGE BOWL AND SET ASIDE
STIR TOGETHER THE SUGAR, VINEGAR, CELERY SEED, AND SALT IN A SAUCE PAN AND BRING TO A BOIL.....POUR OVER THE VEGGIES AND STIR.....PLACE IN FREEZER TIGHT CONTAINERS OR EAT FRESH....i WAS TOLD THAT YOU CAN TAKE THESE OUT OF THE FREEZER ANYTIME AND THEY ARE STILL CRISP AND TASTE FRESH!

Here is Sheri eating some....


Sheri and I think that you could even add carrots, cauliflower, peppers and other veggies for a variety....





ANOTHER UPDATE........


John finally got his bargain truck done! If you remember from previous posts, it was red and dented....after a lot of body work, lots of sanding, and some new parts and of course paint....It now looks shiny and new and is sporting a dark green paint job!


John buffing and polishing his truck


His helpers are helping too!




I hope everyone is having a great summer! We have had the best weather this summer! The temperatures here have mainly been in the high 70's to low 80's. Not normal at all for Illinois...
Although we have enjoyed this spring like weather...I do miss some of the hot days and spending every waking minute in the pool. It has been so cool that we haven't been able to get in the pool much! I'm sure we;ll have a run of hot weather soon!!







No comments: