Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Apples are here.....

September is the month for Apples!!! We had a bunch of apples given to us from a friend here in town. We really loaded up the truck! I had never canned apples before. I have put them in the freezer but never canned them. These apples were really tasty and were not sour or bitter.
We borrowed a peeler/corer/slicer from Mom. I did it for awhile and then John went to work. Debbie helped too by peeling the old fashioned way!
After 5 hours, I ended up with 18 quarts of apples and 5 quarts of chunky applesauce.
I cooked them first with cinnamon and sugar....just perfect to put in a pie or apple cake.....apple dumplings........apple cobbler......I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it!!
And then the next day......Back to some tomatoes!
The rest of the week will be consisting of painting and putting ceramic tile back in the bathroom in the basement. I really think I need a vacation!!!

No comments: