Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

In the Kitchen

This time of year I always find myself wanting to do a lot of cooking. I usually do a lot of soups, stews, and casseroles in the cooler months of the year.  This year I'm looking for a few new and different sides to go with our meals.  As I find them, I will try to post them.  I'm just really tired of opening a can of veggies ....and would rather create something.  We are always eating tons of fresh veggies in the summer, but when they aren't in season, they are sometimes boring.  Last night, I made Brussel Sprouts and Bacon.  It was very good!  John and Debbie both hate brussel sprouts but loved this dish!  Here is what I did................................
                              
First of all, I fried 1/2 pound of thick sliced bacon and set aside..
  Using the bacon drippings, I sauteed a small onion, a few portabella mushrooms,
 and then I added 2 boxes of Green Giant brand brussel sprouts in butter that I had thawed on the counter................
                         And it all looked like this...                                                
I let this simmer until the brussel sprouts were tender and the onion was translucent.  Finally, I transferred all of this to a bowl and crumbled the crisp, thick sliced bacon on top!   Very Yummy!
   Even if you are against the poor little ole' brussel sprout....you should try this!  Of course you could do your own variation...possibly leave out the mushrooms and add diced red and yellow bell pepper?  What a great splash of color.....hhmmmm  I may have to try that myself!                                                                                                               

No comments: